Thursday, September 5, 2013

advice

The last few days before leaving to Taiwan for internship was pretty busy.
Going out friends, course mates, ex-roomie and Sabah Outward Bound School (OBS) teammates catching up with them.

I really enjoyed their presence and appreciate them taking time to be with me.

I am going to University of Aletheia in Tamsui, Taipei, Taiwan as I will be doing my internship there for 12 weeks aka 3 months which officially starts on 9 Sep 2013- 1 Dec 2013.

So, I finish my studies part of my degree, just need to pass the internship then my degree is complete.

My mom is worried as it is typhoon season in Taiwan...My elder brother said I gotta think forward already as in what's my next step right after I finish my internship; Internship is serious, it's a taste of your whole working life, something you are gonna do for almost the rest of your working life. The bread and butter of life, the activities that puts money on the table...

Wise words from my course mate:
Don't do things too straight, learn to turn, be flexible, sometimes rules are meant to be broken, don't follow too straight/naive, but choose the correct timing to break rules and not always,
suffer or enjoy the internship experience in a foreign land depends on your decision. 
Think wisely, be open,
Sometimes things won't go exactly like you want, if that happens just accept it and re-do it again, be open minded. Don't frust and blame other people, Maybe sometimes it is other people who caused you the problem but just accept it and go through yourself...this is reality, no more complain-complain already cause complain wont help.

A book I recommend is PRACTICAL WISDOM by Barry Schwarts and Kenneth Sharpe, It's a good read on applying wisdom, the right way to do the right thing. It's like moral, ethics, empathy, and understanding is more important than being right all the time, following the rules strictly. It really teaches us to be human again with wise decisions and proper attitude towards the context. What it taught me is that reading in-between  by understanding the context is more important than being right and judging others. Cause sometimes, people say or act in certain ways to cover up what is really happening inside them, they use distraction to hide themselves, like parables that actually contain double meaning but only to those who sees the words spoken deeper and more than it appears.. its not about always being right, but listening to them secara tersirat..see where their disappointment is coming from. Aristotle taught us Practical Wisdom, often when dealing with other people we need to bend the rules. Wise people know how to bend the rules. Flexible rule, a ruler that bends. Wise people know when and how to bend the rules, they know how to improvise. Improvise and bending rule in the service of others, not for self serving.



Here's what is inside the book...

No comments:

Post a Comment