Saturday, November 19, 2011

tug of war gold

I never thought I'll be one of the main player in tug of war aka tarik tali.
It never cross my mind to join tarik tali for SUKan Mahasiswa Universiti Malaya(SUKMUM) - university sports month.

I registered my name only for Ladies Hockey this year but somehow my name went to softball, handball, tug of war and just yesterday futsal. Will tell you about hockey experience in the next post...back to tarik tali.

Some of you know I'm a yes-man so you ajak me, I go la. You appoint me, I do loh...

Tarik tali was so unexpected one la cause I'm so small and light but they were really desperate and needed numbers so I agreed. I even went to all the training despite having rugby trainings. I learn a lot and no longer think that tarik tali is a sport which requires no skill. So many techniques to learn, body mechanism/bio-mechanics to learn. Our coach is a very calm but knowledgeable man in this area.

In secondary and primary school, we just pull pull pull and "pacak" our heels on the ground, or the cheating skill would be keep turning the tali.

I'm currently in 5th residential college, and I don't know why all the big size girls don't want to enter tug of war until this small and light girl have to play tug of war. As the smallest and lightest in the team, of cause I don't think I can be a main player, I would just be a substitute player. Just to fill in the numbers. We learn a lof of techniques. We only this week on monday, tues and wed,on thurs we had a friendly game with 4th college and friday we had a debrief of our friendly game with a correction and touch up light training session. Then saturday aka today is our competition.

friendly with 4th. Their ladies were very heavy people and reality looked like we can't win a single time, but we were gonna give them a fight before we go down. The first round we were losing and just a but more to lose but they lost their fitness/stamina and so we just pull and won! Yes, we did the impossible! We just have to hold on and wait for the enemy to get tired! Then the second time we lost and we realize previously we might have won because the ground on one of the side is slippery. After a rest we re-matched and it was draw again. This time it confirmed that every team that plays on the particular side lost. After a while, we did the last round and winner takes all, they won.
Haha, so we don't know actually who's stronger, but we do know they have more weight and the place was a winning factor. At least we have the taste of what tomorrow would be like.<-referring to the experience of pulling the tali with opposition.

Kira ask me to join the college ladies Futsal team because there are not enough players. Had a futsal training of 1 hour yesterday night. today is futsal also, This means today I had to rush to 2 places. Futsal at 5th college  court and tarik tali at varsity field. Thank God Kira had a car.

Today 7am we assemble and walk to the field, strap up, team talk, warm up and then me, Kira and Atiq rush back to fifth because the new schedule said futsal first. After futsal, we rush back to the field, sweating and catching our breathe and then straight away had to measure weight(i add on 1 kg) and then tarik the tali. I was surprised because I was a player, not a substitute. (Ok, maybe coach wants me to have game experience so put me in the first game). Looking at all the other colleges, their ladies are bigger and their group weight were much heavier than our team. So we were not medal prospects and we didn't really expect to win any game. But with applying all the technique and knowledge that coach taught us, We Won!
Then after a while, we had to rush back to college for futsal. After futsal, we rush back to the field cause tarik tali coach request me to be one of the main player. We won again! We may not have the weight but we have techniques, strategy and knowledge! :)

Back to college for futsal, then we receive a call to rush back to the field because this is a crucial tarik tali match, It's with the heaviest team (9th college) and I was informed that I'm suppose to play this round too. So after futsal 1st half, we wanted to leave but then the futsal team needed us, so we stayed on the 2nd half. But we couldn't reach in time so a heavier girl played in my place. We expected to lose in this round. It was very tight, 1st round we lost, then 2nd round we won...3rd round we won easily because everyone applied the knowledge properly.

No more futsal.Took our weight again then Tarik tali semi finals, I'm a player again. we won.

measure weight and then Finals with 9th college. Coach wanted to put me in but I was thinking previously when we went against 9th, I wasn't playing. So maybe we won because of the weight? coach sais he wants me in because i got the proper technique. I told coach the other girl that ganti-ed me previously was 20 kg heavier than me so the team would lose 20 kg if I play. Coach reluctantly said, go have a team discussion then tell the manager the team's decision. So I call the girls and I told them "In the game with 9th college I takde, then if I play this time, the team will lose 20kg cause I'm 52kg only. So you all still want me in or you nak letak someone heavier? I tak kisah, I want to win, so let's do what's best for the team. I say put someone heavier to substitute me. Jangan fikir saya, fikir team, kita nak menang!" The team agreed with me.

THE FINALS: first round we almost won, just a bit more but suddenly a lot of girls fell down and so we lost it.When we lost, coach look at me, "sebab u la kita kalah, sebab u tak masuk"  Second time we won (or is it the other way around?). 3rd round we won! YES, We are the Champions! we did it! UNDERDOGS! DARK HORSES! WILD CARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment